Tuesday, November 4, 2008

THUNDERSTORMS AND RAINBOWS

I believe that some of the Johannesburg evenings are the most beautiful in the world!

The unbearable heat during our summer days often result in the most phenomenal cloud formations and these are presented as artworks in the sky. These angry storms build up and announce themselves with resonant thunder and widespread lightning. Later when the storm has dropped all its cargo, the thunder still rumbles away into the night. The storms can be so volatile but when they are over they offer us some of the most magnificent rainbows.

This afternoon was one of those thunderous times but as I waited for the storm to dissipate, I was sure that it was about to reveal one of its awesome rainbows. I grabbed my camera and went in search. Somehow, it eluded me and despite me driving around the neighbourhood for the perfect picture, I came home emptyhanded. But I was happy that I had searched - I knew it was there, but I just couldn't see it!

The idea of the importance of the 'Rainbow' in our lives was brought home to me this morning.
I was on one of my shopping rounds and in one shop I stopped to chat to the cashier. I've been to that shop before, so she recognised me. We share common ground in that our children have attended the same school. During our conversation, she delivered a profound statement:

"A MOTHER IS ONLY AS HAPPY AS HER UNHAPPIEST CHILD!"

This got me thinking. Yes, we do, indeed worry about our children. This concern is an inate part of parenthood and continues throughout life. My own mom - 86yrs - still pains over the troubles of her offspring, sometimes to the point where she is literally ill with worry. Perhaps this state of 'worry' is instinctive, but it then sets off a process of us worrying about her. The following statement then becomes true:

"CHILDREN ARE AFFECTED BY THE HAPPINESS OF THEIR PARENTS!"

Does this not then mean that an unhappy parental disposition is the trigger to a viscious negative spiral? If this is indeed so, then consider our responsibility, as adults, for our own happiness. Maybe by doing things that aid our own goal to 'happiness' we are triggering the spiral upwards and therefore giving a positive influence on our children.

Back to the thunderstorms and the search for the rainbow in our lives....

Perhaps the answer is really to acknowledge the storms in our lives, but to make an effort to look for the rainbows . Our search for the rainbow might elude us but take heart - it is there! It is like the stormy cloud; if we wait long enough, the rainbow will reveal itself. Maybe too; the rainbow holds the promise of our ability to impart happiness to our children. By focussing on the vision of a better place in our lives we allow others access to our own 'happiness' and the spiral to positivity is put into action.

So I encourage you; not to focus on the storms, but to go ahead and

SEARCH FOR THE RAINBOW IN YOUR LIFE!

No comments:

Post a Comment