Thursday, November 27, 2008

MY CHILDHOOD FARM


This is a picture of the farm "Turbine Waters" where I grew up. It holds amazing memories: happy, carefree days with no worries in the world.


One can't see the old farmhouse in this picture- it's embedded in trees alongside the steep rock face in the middle of the picture. The homestead was presumably built in the early 20th century and sported thick walls ,arches and an inviting fireplace. The cement floors throughout the house were polished up to a shiny red and cool underfoot. Occasionally my father would move aside the tin sheeting on the roof to allow hot air to escape. This was my home were I spent my childhood.


To the right (out of the picture) was a waterfall which was either in flood or totally dry. It was my personal sanctuary where I spent many hours meditating.


In my early childhood the land, which you see, was cultivated - the crops kept alive by the waterfall. Later the dept. of forestry planted bluegum (Saligna) trees in the catchment area on top of the mountain. The action was disasterous as my dad had to give up farming and seek employment elsewhere.


The mountain was a particular climbing challenge. The bush was lush and pathways obscure. It would take us hours to reach the summit, but the view over the valley was magnificent. We'd stand on the summit, open our arms and revel in the cool valley breeze.


In the middle of the picture is an old "Shed" which served as a milking facility for the numerous cows which were resident on the farm. Adjacent to the shed was a pump which tapped into one of two active boreholes on the farm. The water supply however was small, so we had to be frugal with our usage.


Bird life on the farm was amazing since it was close to the Kruger Park. Indeed there are more species of bird in the Kruger Park than the whole of Australia. I took a keen interest in the activities of my multitude of feathered friends.


So, this is just a snippet of my childhood playground. I will refrain from going on at length. Perhaps one day you can read all my stories in my anthology:
"A SILVER SPOON FOR AN AFRICAN WHITE CHILD".

3 comments:

  1. Your farm looks beautiful. I imagine a little girl could have been very happy there in her own private meditation place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice post. I like to be in this kind of place but presently i'm living in city. You should be the lucky person. Nice blog......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment - Aspasian. Its nice to have a new reader! The farm was a place where I spent my childhood. Unfortunately I too live in a city. The idea about the blog is to reflect on such places to combat the immense stress that many people live under. Kind regards and take care, C

    ReplyDelete