Hello there everyone and welcome to my blog!...
Today I am going to talk about:
COMPANIONSHIP...
This is a picture of the pigeon pair who have set up roosting facilities in our white stinkwood tree in the garden. The picture itself seems to capture the essence of what I want to say today.
At the day's end, who keeps us company?I was in our Vet’s waiting room some time ago and got chatting to his interesting receptionist...
They have a rather large kitty there – called Monty – and she was telling me his touching rescue story. Monty was sitting on the shelf next to me listening to our chatter. He was keeping company with another grey kitty on the food shelf next to us. The two of them were happily sitting there, paws tucked under their chests and snoozing.

She explained that they have cared for many animals over the years and have come to believe that it is not fair to keep single animals. They always try to find a partner because they believe that
“No animal is meant to be alone!”

Her statement got me thinking...
Yes I agree with her. Humans too are not meant to be alone either. We are communal creatures by nature. Yet how many of us lead singular lives and bare the brunt of loneliness?
I began thinking about the concept of marriage and commitment and thought back also to a wedding sermon I’d heard many years ago. The minister, at the time, asked the question:
“Why get married?”
and then came up with a statement that I have always remembered...
“WE GET MARRIED SO THAT SOMEONE CAN BARE WITNESS TO OUR LIVES”
Our lives may be difficult, they may be fraught with health issues, financial concerns and various disagreements. Life at the best of times is not easy! The bottom line however is that, in the process of life, we do indeed need someone who can bare witness - to share our reality and to mirror it back to us. Without another, our lives become pointless.
So, today is a good day to begin to be grateful for the people we have in our lives. Those who keep us company. Those who share our woes. Those who allow us into their own lives.

Let us seek to strengthen those bonds by rejoicing in the good and letting the rest die of neglect.
The gift of companionship should not be taken lightly!
Thank you. We like the idea of rejoicing in the good and letting the rest die of neglect. You put it so well.
ReplyDeleteErnie & Sasha & their Mom
Mom says 'thank you' fur reminding her of many things!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad we have the khompanionship of each other -
And of other special beings in our lives - some khan't always be 'here' with us in the physikhal form but we know they are here in spirt!
Happy Weekend!
Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra (and Khyra fur her mom too)
BEAUTIFUL, Caryl!
ReplyDeleteKaren
I don't know what I would do without my furry kids. Thank you for your comment on All GOD's Creatures. I have joined to follow this blog, too.
ReplyDeleteMy dogs are: Sitka (Alaskan Malamute), Nanuq (Samoyed), Trouble (Toy Poodle), Macy (Elderlly Deaf Cocker Spaniel). I hope this helps. They are all therapy dogs accept Macy. She will be 16 in January and has earned the privilege of simply doing what she pleases each day.
I am going to try and find your other blog with poetry. I couldn't get the link to work.
Blessings and prayers,
Andrea
Your wise words are timeless and full of love.
ReplyDelete